Sunday, January 29, 2012

Identity

       President Mahinda Rajapakse walks into Bank of Ceylon
to cash a cheque. As he approaches the cashier he says: Good Morning,
madam, could you pleaase cash this cheque for me?

      Cashier: It would be my pleasure,Sir. Could you please show me your ID?

      PRESIDENT: (utterly shocked) I did not bring my ID with me as I
didn't think there was any need. I am Mahinda Rajapakse, the President
of Sri Lanka!

      Cashier: Yes Sir, I know who you are, but with all the
regulations and monitoring of the banks because of impostors and
forgers, etc., I must insist on seeing your ID.

      PRESIDENT: Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will
tell you. Everybody knows who I am!

      Cashier: I am sorry Mr. President, but these are the bank
rules and I must follow them strictly.

      PRESIDENT: I am urging you, please, to cash this cheque. Shiranthi has
gone to America and Namal has, by mistake, taken the keys of the
safe with him. I need some extra spending money urgently.

      Cashier: look Mr. President, this is what we can do. Some
months back, Sarath Fonseka came into the bank without ID. To prove he was
the ex General, he showed his tummy scars.  With those scar marks, we knew
him to be Ex General and cashed his cheque. On another occasion,
Sanath Jayasuriya
came in without his ID. To prove his identity, he just went out and hit sixes.
With that we knew for certain that he was indeed Sanath himself, and we
cashed his cheque. So, Mr. President, what can you do to prove
that it is you, and only you, as the President of Sri Lanka?

      PRESIDENT stood there thinking, thinking and thinking, and finally
said: Honestly, my mind is totally blank ..... there is nothing that
comes to my mind... I can't think of a single thing!!!

      Cashier: There you are! That is enough. Now I don't have any
doubt that you are our President  Mahinda Rajapakse. In what
denominations would you like the cash, Mr. President?