Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Sri Lankan way

Three contractors . . . one from Sri Lanka, another from Kentucky
and the third from Florida are bidding to repair the White House
fence. They go with a White House official to examine the fence.

The Florida contractor takes out a tape measure and does some
measuring, then works some figures with a pencil. "Well," he says. "I
figure the job will run $900 . . . $400 for materials, $400 for labor
and $100 profit for me."

The Kentucky contractor also does some measuring and figuring, then
says, "I can do this job for $700 . . . $300 for materials, $300 for
my crew and $100 profit for me."

The Sri Lankan contractor doesn't measure or figure, but leans over
to the White House official and whispers: "$2,700." The official,
incredulous, says, "You didn't even measure like the other guys! How
did you come up with such a high figure?"

"Easy," the Sri Lankan explains, "$1,000 for you, $1,000 for me and
we hire the guy from Kentucky to do the work."